I’ve neglected this blog for like a month now. I started a new job over a month ago and its a 40 minute commute to and fro. So by the time I get home around 5 or 6, I’m tired and just want to unwind, maybe go out with a friend for dinner or just curl up with a good book. Writing at night is isolated to the hours of 9pm or later, when I’m ready for bed. I adore my job and I’m slowly finding the balance between work and still doing other things. Responsibilities, what a concept.
Onto nerdier news. I’m still working through my 100 books in a year goal. I posted my July update and finished another book today bringing my total books read to 54. Can I read 46 books in 4 months while working a fulltime job and staying busy with other stuff? Of course I can, I work well under pressure 🙂
Since I’ve been off, I’ve had more time for gaming in the past two weeks and some after school. I was adamantly playing Wario Woods and even got up to level 70. Then I spent around 10-15 hours trying to get to level 75. It’s been filed away for another day and I decided to navigate my way through Final Fantasy II.
Around this time last year I picked up and quickly made my way through FF2. I ended up getting stuck in Deist cave and gave up. I made my way through it the other night and now my party is really overpowered. My party all has their HP between 3700-4200 and even the hard bosses are going down within two turns.
Final Fantasy 2′s leveling system has gaundered mixed opinions, but personally I love it. I’m over halfway (maybe 3/4ths) of the way through Final Fantasy II and its been a really fun old school RPG. It’s not my favorite game in the RPG (not in the top 5), but its still a solid RPG that should be played if only for its quirky leveling up system. I think the leveling up system in Final Fantasy 2 is actually one of my favorites in any RPG-it took a risk in the early days of RPG’s and it works.
Other Nerd Blurbs
- I went to a casual play Magic the Gathering night earlier this week. I had built a red and green deck with burn spells on the fly and I was surprised at how well it did. Now I’m working on a slivers deck.
- I went back and reread an old manga series I loved when I was a teenager called Kare First Love. Reading it as an adult, I realize its not as good as I remember. In fact, its nothing special…
- I ran by a local thrift store last weekend and while I was in the book section, happened to look up at the CDs to find Final Fantasy VII. After looking closer, I realized there were several RPG’s! I ended up walking away with the games above for only $15!
Oh…right the other part of this blog. Lets see, I exercise regularly, eat lots of fruits and veggies and surprisingly haven’t turned into a peach. Really, I’m eating them way too much if that’s possible.
1. If you haven’t seen the trailer for the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon you can see it here. The animation is what really throws it off for me. Then again, Nickelodeon is making it and I’ve since lost my faith in them after the early 00’s.
2. While out apartment hunting today, I stopped at a gamestore called G2k. They apparently had just gotten done with a magic tournament so the store was packed. I couldn’t even browse (rude people). I did snag a game I’ve been hunting for for a while now; Warios Woods! I first played it on Animal Crossing and ever since I’ve been trying to track down a copy. It tends to run medium range at $10-15, but I snagged it todays for $5.24. I’m up to level 30 now. Stopping only because my back was killing me.
3. I showed off my nerdiness today at G2k. While I was waiting in line one of the employees was talking about the things the Spider-Man movies featuring Toby McGuire changed. The employee got stuck and said he couldn’t remember the name of Spidey’s first girlfriend. I said “Gwen” and they stopped and stared for a minute and said “Yeah, Gwen”. I felt cool.
4. I’ve been a crafting fiend lately. I recently completed this project and have several more on the way 🙂
5. Speaking of crafts, this is my new favorite website.
6. Until last week I had never seen The Big Bang Theory. Now, it’s one of my all time favroite shows which says a lot too since its rare for me to find a live action TV show that I like. Sheldon is of course my favorite character ❤
7. I really want to try this Harry Potter workout. You do it while watching any of the movies. It’d be even funner with a friend 😀
8. Etsy makes me glad I don’t have a paypal account. I’d need to buy everything.
What’s part of your ‘nerdy’ week or weekend?
A common trait among more serious gamers are games that have been started, but not completed. I am guilty of this trait and looking through my collection earlier, while debating a game to play due to insomina, just how many of my 150+ games I have started, but have yet to beat. I am currently playing Persona 4 and Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep off and on, but its the games I have started and stopped for one reason or another that fit the bill. For the sake of sanity, I’m not including gameboy (or color), NES or SNES games.
Patapon-I’m on mission to find a door and got fustrated trying to find it so I put it down. I orginally picked it up while procrastinating on some homework at the time too.
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep-I’m currently playing this actually. I’m on Ventus’ story meaning the last one.
Final Fantasy II-I got stuck in one of the dungeons over the summer and youtube did not help me get out of it. Therefore, its on the back burner.
Harvest Moon: Boy and Girl-I might as well restart this one if I want to get married or have a good ending.
Elite Beat Agents–It really stinks when you cannot beat the last level of a game.
Final Fantasy III-my first DS title and I put it down intially because I got stuck in a cave where I had to turn into a frog.
Magical Starsign-I am in the process of finding my last friend (or already did). This is a really fun title but one of the infamous “got really into it and then had to put it down”.
Animal Crossing-I feel like the debt I owe to Tom Nook is like my student loans. I put in what I think is a good amount, only to see it didn’t make the dent I hoped. So I continue paying in money and see the number only slowly go down before I put the game way. I equate this in real life to deferring loans (and still paying mind you) by taking classes.
Endless Ocean-Its a calm game and I really enjoy it. It’s just not a high priority game so much as a random mood and an hour of gameplay here and there game.
Super Smash Bros Brawl-I was so excited when it was first released that I drove 30 miles to buy it. I beat the main story and just never got around to finishing it.
.hack//quaratine-I need to get the Q disc/lock/whatever in order to get to the next dungeon. An hour of searching for such means it gets put down for a while.
Persona 4-Currently playing through it. I just saved one person and now I’m off to save a future team member 😉
Shadow of the Colossus-I was making good progress when I first picked this up…but then my controller died when I was fighting the electric eel shadow. Needless to say I haven’t picked it up since then.
Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves-I’d been wanting to play Sly 3 for a while and when my computer broke I gave it a good play. I’m on chapter 2 I believe and I’ve broken into a mansion to get a code. I got really busy with work after that and never had time for the next 2-3 weeks to play games.
Final Fantasy IV-I’m stuck on the moon and couldn’t figure out where to go to/got lost and put it down to play another game. It’s been 3-4 years since then. I’m actually planning on buying the Final Fantasy IV collection for the PSP so that I’ll have the expansion and game all in one go.
Final Fantasy V-I was wandering through a library adn then got into a cave with these giant wide-eyed squirrels. Since I remember telling a friend about this fact in high school, I realize I haven’t picked it up in six years. Ouch.
Final Fantasy VI-I don’t remember the exact part I am in, though a recent memory says it was after fighting the pocessed train.
The Legend of Dragoon-I just met the blue-haried girl (forget her name) and I’m heading somewhere in a town…I just remember getting lost trying to go to where I needed to be.
That’s all the games I have on my “played but not beaten” shelf. I do need to make it a goal to beat all these games before I start on another title. Luckily unless a new Pokemon game comes out I should be pretty safe. There’s just something about Pokemon games that make me drop every other game. I used to be the same way with Kingdom Hearts and some other RPG’s, but I fell out of that rhythm.
Sorry for the no-post spell. I spent the weekend in Northern Virginia visitng two of my closest friends (who actually helped my nerdiness along!) While we didn’t play Magic the Gathering or Munkin, we played a bit of Kinnect, watched Inception (and Skyrim, does that count??), a card game called “Dominion” and I watched my first official superbowl. Today was much missed girl time of watching the Golden Girls, What Not to Wear and TV with a zumba workout 😉 My body is crazy sore from working out with kinnect, zumba and running earlier. Now to resist the urge to buy a kinnect, even if my birthday is next month…
I stumbled across an article reviewing the DS. It made me look over at my shelf of DS games and realize I may never be able to start getting 3DS games since I need to actually beat more games before upgrading to a new system (yes 360 and PS3, that means you!) My current Library consists of the following games. Bolded games are ones I’ve beaten!
- Ace Attorney: Justice for all (I need to get the first game!)
- Brain Age
- Chrono Trigger
- Contra 4 (I beat easy mode…)
- Devil Survivor
- Dragon Quest IV, V, IX
- Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime
- Elite Beat Agent (Last level, cannot beat!)
- Final Fantasy III
- Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
- Magical Starsign
- New Super Mario bros.
- Pokemon Black (must catch ’em all!)
- Pokemon Diamond
- Pokemon Soul Silver
- Princess Debut
- Tetris DS (can you really BEAT tetris?)
- World Ends With You, The
Most of my games are beaten, but I still have a few unbeaten. However, there are a ton of titles on the DS I plan on beating once I beat some of the games on my backlog. A friend suggested the 5 for 1 rule (beat 5 games and then you can buy a new one). I do have quite a wishlist for my DS games though;
- 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
- Atelier Annie: Alchemist of Sera Island
- Digimon World DS or Digimon World Dusk
- Disgaea DS
- Dragonball Origins
- Dragon Quest VI
- Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2
- Fire Embelm: Shadow Dragon
- Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
- Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
- Final Fantasy 4: Heroes of Light
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Rings of Fate
- Final Fantasy Chocobo Tales
- Final Fantasy Tactics A2
- Harvest Moon: Grand Bazzar
- Kingdom Hearts: Re: Coded
- Kirby: Mass Attack (or any of the Kirby games)
- Legendary Starfy
- Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
- Mario and Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story
- Monster Tale
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness
- Pokemon Rangers: Guardian Signs
- Professor Layton and the Curious Village
- Rune Factory
- Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
That’s just the list I have stored. Before I close the door on my DS (however many years from now), this list will certainly grow bigger. I’ve been focusing on Pokemon Black for the last month (and on hiatus from Magical Starsign-which is an amazing game by all means). I need to take a break from Pokemon Black and get back into Magical Starsign since its been a month since I’ve played it. Luckily one of my goals this year is to beat 20 games. Hopefully I’ll find time between school, volunteering, friends, knick-knacks and work to play some more.
What are your favorite DS titles?